This is a blog in which I record my exciting adventures in Africa!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

my phone book.
1111a: I dont know
555: Kay from the swimming pool
Amartey: 50 year old musician, has played his world beat at the smithosonian in America, I go to his apartment and we talk and play the bongos
Bicycle Ben: Owner of this cool tricycle that has the two wheels in the front, can do impressive tricks on it
Ceebs: Siebe from Holland, fellow volunteer at the Chronicle newspaper but he quit after two weeks
Chopper: Cofounder (with me) of Lovers As Friends Association, so named chopper because he had to leave Nigeria for chopping his friends leg off, first meeting of LAFA is tonight! be there or be square, Teddy's Pub, 10 p.m.
Clive: I don't know
Ema: Kid across the street, obsessed with american rap, should be in boarding school now but all the teachers are on strike
Eugene Play: We stayed in his house when we went traveling to Koforidua, smokes pot incessantly
Fergs: Fergal from Ireland, my roomate, his help was invaluable in shaping my mohawk last night
Festus Legon: This weird British guy I met at Champs Sports bar, he is black and has been here for two years but he hasn't had a Ghanaian girlfriend!
Francis Cape: Drumming and Dancing instructor at Cape Coast, I will be staying with him for two weeks of intensive African dance!
Han4na: This girl Orlando met on the street in Koforidua, he took a little fancy for her and got her phone number and a promise to meet us later, but she didn't return our calls and never showed
Katie: Katerina from Germany, my housemate, prime instigator behind the mohawk, she wields a razor with great speed but lacks precision, my mohawk is not even!
Katri-leena: my girlfriend of almost five weeks, from Finland, has 96 dreadlocks which she wraps up very nicely with a scarf before going out, used to have lots of facial piercings but thank god she took them out, has not seen my new hair cut yet.
Kobey Rasta: Very nice Rasta man, well dressed, clean, I see him everywhere and everytime he asks me to buy him 'just one little coke'.
Kofi cell: This guy pretended to fix my cell phone, really it only needed to be charged, took 80000 cedis from me and then had the nerve to ask for my phone number! I have not recovered the money yet, but justice will be served.
Lando: My number one homey in Ghana, he's 22 but doesn't have much to do but hang around outside my gate and borrow my bicycle. Thats cool, though, when it gets a flat tire he always takes it get it fixed. Weird phobia: Will not go in public swimming pools because the water is 'dirty'. Unshakeable belief: Juju, African forebearer of voodoo, exists, and that I will be cursed for disrespecting the juju priest.
Mari: Finnish girlfriend and roomate to Katri-leena, has big blond dreadlocks that make her very popular with all the Rastafarian guys here
Matt Legon: An American with the same name as me! and thats pretty much all we have in common.
Maxwell: Supermodish worker at Labadi beach, very friendly, excellent pool player, can bust a move on the dance floor, popular with the white girls
Me!: for a while, I couldn't remember my cellphone number, but now I dont need to keep referring to me! everytime someone asks for it.
Michele: Not actually sure how to spell this guys name, but michele is definitely wrong. Very cool man from Holland, a smile seems to be frozen on to his face, but not in that annoying way you see sometimes. He likes extreme sports, snowboarding, windsurfing, things like that, but he is also rather heavy set and clumsy, and the scars he bears from his accidents are terrible to behold.
Mike: Former housemate from Britain, he is now alone somewhere in Mali, hope he's fine!
Natty: A rasta man who works at the Arts Centre in downtown Accra, he makes drums from big tree trunks that are lying around outside his shop. I'm ordering a custom drum from him with my name on it, plus I will be working with him on his family's farm.
Pianim: Head honcho of some sort of energy commission, but a nice man who has agreed to talk to me for my newspaper about the possibility for renewable energy in Ghana's future.
Rich: Goes to NYU and is here doing sort of crazy film studies program following a Ghanaian rapper around. I must get to know him better.
Sacks: Mrs. Sackey, ruler and tyrant of the volunteer's hous where I live. On seeing my mohawk on the morning after Fergal and Katy made it, she said nothing. Everythings cool right? wrong. I get back from a morning dip at the swimming pool, and she has assembled all the Projects Abroad directors, saying that she wants me to move out. Since, she has stepped back from her uncompromising position, but relations between us are strained, to say the least.
Tinathenuyorka: ahh, she only lived in New York for a year, she's not really a nuyorka
Vicky: The English woman who serves as coordinator for all the volunteers in Accra. nothing very exciting to tell you about her.

Okay thats all folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home