This is a blog in which I record my exciting adventures in Africa!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

I am living in the town of Menkassim for two weeks, taking drumming and dancing instruction with a man here. Accra was making me sick. The capital city is just filthy, especially this time of year when the rain stops and the wind comes and throws all the dust and soot around. The sores on my body weren't healing, my lungs were hurting, and I was generally acting like a layabout. My bed was more inviting than any other part of the city. Thats not to mean you should worry when you read this, if you're in a relationship with me that would cause you to worry about my health when you read this. You got my email, and I assure you that Menkassim is doing wonders for my health.
Menkassim is very poor. I live in a room in a courtyard shared by a couple families, and my window looks out on the dirt lane. Chickens and goats run by, and children peer in to my window more and more frequently, and then run away laughing when I look at them. You would not believe how many children there are here. They play together out in the street all day, and when they see me they all begin yelling 'obroni, obroni' in unison. Today I visited a school during recess, and was greeted by a hundred cries of 'obroni'. I picked up a stick and ran at them, and I felt like moses parting the red sea, or a sheep dog chasing its flock. It was incredibly fun, making dashes at this ocean of children.
Its also sad, I suppose, that there are so many of them. People here may have heard of birth control, but when I see girls with their tell-tale short haircuts showing they are still in school suckling their babies, I know that nobody uses it. Ok out of time bye.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this entry to be one of your best, one can only witness something so unfortunate to truly understand it. I'm proud of what you're doing almost envious...

8:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home